Thursday 10 July 2014

Some Weekend Fun with Mango Margaritas!



Looks good no?

I thought we'd get the weekend started a bit early, since it's almost Friday, almost the end of the week  and I know we are all dying for it to get here a bit sooner. The weekend is usually when the hubby and I go out, visit a pub or try out a new restaurant. But every once in a while, we decide to stay in and chill. That's usually when I get into cocktail making mode... not that I need an excuse for a good cocktail. Hmm... I think I should stop saying that or else you may start thinking I have a bit of a problem with the good stuff :) 

Anyway, last weekend I tried out these Mango & Chilli Margaritas and they turned out awesome! I was inspired by a recipe I found on Pastry Affair, a blog that's full of some fabulous recipes. It doesn't take too long to make. The trick is to get everything ready in advance. Then at the last moment you can throw everything in the blender, blitz and serve!



These were frozen margaritas... melted by the time I clicked the pictures because it's hot as hell here:) But who's complaining when you have a few glasses of these...lol. We sat around, watched some TV and toasted to a bunch of stupid things... effects of the margaritas I guess... got us in a very happy mood. 


If you aren't a fan of forzen margaritas, just add ice after blending. You can make them any way you like and you can make them as strong or as weak as you like- just stick to the 2:1 proportion. I'm going to whip of some next time I have friends over. Don't think it's possible to not like them! I'm also going to try making aam panna margaritas. Curious to see how they turn out.


Before I get down to the recipe, a few things that are important are, to make sure to prep and chill your serving glasses at least two hours before you plan to serve the margaritas, and to chill the container in which you plan to blend the margaritas.Finally, make sure that the mango is chilled. I would suggest you freeze the mango chunks for a better frozen margarita.

Recipe (about 3-4 serves)
To rim the glasses...
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp castor sugar
1/4 lime/lemon wedge

Mix the dry ingredients together in a plate. Use the lemon wedge to moisten the rim of the glass and then dip the rim into the dry salt/sugar mix. Tap the glass to remove any excess salt and place the glasses in the freezer.

For the actual margaritas you will need...  

2, 60 ml measures tequila

1, 60 ml triple sec
4-5 lemons, juiced (we get small lemons of about 1” diameter)
Chunks of 1/2 medium sized mango
1/2 small green chilli with or without seeds
4-5 teaspoons sugar (less if your not blending with ice)


1/2 tsp salt

4-5 Ice cubes (optional)

Now if you have a blender, then throw all the ingredients in and blend. If you happen to be using a Sumit mixer, then I would suggest you blend the mango, chilli, ice, sugar, salt and lemon juice together till it forms a slushy consistency. Then add the remaining liquids and stir. I say this from my previous experiences of trying to blend a lot of liquid in a Sumit and having to mop up the entire kitchen, walls included :( Not a pleasant experience I promise you! 

To serve, pour into the chilled glasses and decorate with a lime/lemon slice and enjoy!


[All images by Shalini Pereira]

Please do not use without prior written permission


2 comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...