I've been away from the blog for a while now. Been in a bit of a funk. We creative types are renowned for our 'stuck in a rut' phases, mood swings and tantrums... There are some days when everything annoys us and we convince ourselves that the entire world is working against us (we have a bit of a flair for the dramatic). On those days finding the right shade of pink is simply impossible, and everything on site seems to be fixed just askew enough for only you to notice. On those days you wear a scowl on your face that warns people a mile away to stay away. When I'm on site, sadly the guys on site get it. When I'm at home... well you know who get its :) A few weeks ago I had a day like that. I was prickly as a cacti and snapping at everything the hubby said. So I decided to take some me time. I went to one of my favorite cafes and treated my self to some coffee and cheesecake. Nothing like cheesecake to make you feel better :)
There are other days when your mind is a blank. Ideas are in scarce supply, and no amount of Pinteresting and page flipping though magazines can help. And lets be honest,when your business rests on being creative, being in this kind of a funk is quite frustrating! Right now I'm sort of at a loss for ideas for the blog. Hence the prolonged silence. It's been like this ever since I got back from my trip home. I'm trying to get myself out of this rut and it occurred to me that this was actually a pretty good idea for a post:) I mean if you read this blog then you are probably a creative type too. And I'm sure you've experienced the same thing!
So I decided to make a list (I do love my lists!) A list of things I've found help me to get out of a funk or a rut or a dry spell when ideas are hard to come by, or maybe just a plain bad mood :) Here's my list...
1. Treat yourself to something you like... a day at the spa, or just a mani or pedi. Nothing like being pampered to improve your mood.
2. Take a break and visit your favorite cafe and indulge your sweet/spicy/savory cravings. I have a sweet tooth so for me, there is nothing quite like a slice of cake or pie to lift the spirits.
3. Turn on the stereo and dial up the volume and dance like crazy...in front of the mirror...even if you can't dance! My favorite is anything from the 80's. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing quite as good as the music from that period :)
4. Get moving. Go for a run or a walk. There have been so many times when ideas have popped into my head while running. If nothing else, all those Endorphins will definitely make you feel happy and exhilarated!
5. Give your face a wipe with a wet towel scented with some lavender oil and if you are at home and have some time, have a nice hot bath with Lavender or Bergamot oil
6. Get out of your home/office and go buy some flowers. Nothing like colorful flowers to put a smile on a face.
7. Do something a bit crazy and weird. I sometimes dress up, put on some make up and take selfies. I know that sounds crazy and definitely very self obsessed, but it's so funny and it really makes me laugh at myself. There is nothing like a good laugh!
8. Baking is another thing I do to get out of a funk. Sometimes experimenting in the kitchen seems to get my creative juices flowing and ideas start popping into my head.
9. Plan a holiday or a trip. I know this sounds a bit odd, but I have a list of places I hope to visit that are on my bucket list. So I plan trip to one of these beautiful and exotic places. Sometimes while researching a place and admiring its architecture and design, I end up being inspired in my own work.
10. Take a break. If none of the above quick fixes work, then I just take a break. I've found that sometimes you need a little distance, and a little sloth :) When it comes to thinking up new ideas, nothing works better than a break from trying to think of new ideas. I mean even if you love what you do, you sometimes need a break :)
How about you guys? Is it just me, or do you guys also get stuck in a funk? I'd love to hear about what you guys to to get out of it!
This is me going the 'dressing up and taking selfies' route :)