Monday 10 February 2014

A Visit to Humayun's Tomb

I had planned to do this post ages ago, but somehow never got around to it. But since I've recently done a post on Delhi sights, I thought I'd follow it up with this one.

Sometime back I had visited Humayun’s Tomb with family who were visiting during Diwali break. This was my second visit, the first being years before, when I was too young to remember/appreciate much. It was a cool Novemeber day when we visited, but the sun was shining brightly and the sky was clear and bright blue. We arrived late in the morning, and luckily it wasn’t too crowded.

Located in Nizamuddin, East Delhi, Humayun’s tomb is a must see if you are visiting Delhi. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and I think it’s magnificent, bearing a striking resemblance to the Taj Mahal. This structure of red sandstone and white marble is a beautiful example of Mughal Architecture. The Tomb lies in the centre of a Char Bagh Garden, a Persian style garden with a quadrilateral layout. The highly geometrical layout of the garden, with its channels of flowing water creates a soothing atmosphere- its as though an air of tranquility hangs over the entire area. This was one of the things I really loved about my visit here, the sense of calm that the garden was originally meant to provide could really be experienced, unlike the almost manic experience of visiting the Taj, with its noisy, surging crowds that detract from the serenity the structure was meant to portray.

Come here on a weekend, with family or friends and enjoy the architecture, breathe in the history and the atmosphere in peace. There are also several spots surrounding the structure, where you can sit under the shade of orange trees and catch your breath after all the exploring.

Here are a few images I clicked...


















Facts- Open daily

            Nearest metro stations is JLN Metro Station or Central Secretariat metro station



[Images- Shalini Pereira]

4 comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...